Remote or in Southern California preferable
I prefer remote positions because I do my best work when I’m not distracted by things like how I’m going to get myself to work, being stuck in traffic for hours, figuring out what I’m going to eat throughout the day.
And I get to be with my dog all day, which is the best part.
A positive culture
To me, a positive working environment includes:
- Treating people with respect, regardless of company status, gender, race, etc.
- Well-defined development processes, QA, tests
- Encouragement of good documentation
- Appreciation of quality
- Managers who are communicative, and clear in what they expect of me
- A company that believes its employees are people, not machines
- Some sort of culture based on something real
- If it’s a remote position, some sort of attempt to gather people several times a year – I’ve seen that it really helps people work better together once they have gone home
- Work that is relatively consistent, where I can feel like I am accomplishing something worthwhile and actually contributing. I love feeling useful